It was called a Retreat, but it was a giant step forward. Today, incoming church President Rob facilitated a wide-ranging discussion about business as usual and business as we want it to work.
- How can we help ensure that new members stay connected with our community?
- What are the specific, concrete responsibilities of the Board, the Policy Committee, the Executive Team?
- How shall we manage the transition that begins officially on June 1?
- What resources will best help us understand these changes and how to manage them?
- Are we at last ready to move forward instead of spinning our wheels?
Live Oak UU Church is shifting toward a policy governance that will affect nearly every aspect of church life. There will be unintended consequences, to be sure. Today, though, we’re full of (naive?) optimism along with the anticipation of challenging times ahead.
Change is coming! Three years of groundwork have laid its foundation. As in most construction it’s not perfectly level, but I hope a few shims will level the floorboards by and by.
Many thanks and praises to everyone for your participation, dedication, and good ideas! We missed those of you who simply could not be with us, but we very much look forward to your contributions, too.